The Armenian-style lavash crackers have been on my mind ever since the Daring baker’s challenge was announced. Crisp, with a touch of sesame or nigella or poppy seeds they are a delicious accompaniment to any jam, jelly or cheese. In my case, It had to be the Jalapeño- raspberry jelly that I made during the fall. Tart, sweet, fiery Jaloberry jelly as my daughter calls it, was waiting to be devoured. So I went ahead and made a batch of the crackers.
I could have chosen one of the many recipes suggested by Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie, who was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host. She challenged us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers.
I chose this recipe for the simplicity and ease as my daughter wanted to bake along. Can’t scare her with a huge list of ingredients, can I? she would have run and never wanted to bake again. So simple and easy it was and in no way simple on flavors. These babies pack a punch!
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- sesame /poppy /Nigella seeds for topping
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the mixing bowl of your stand mixer, add the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, oil and water. stir until the dough comes together, then knead for about 3 minutes.
- shape into a ball and place the dough into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about an hour
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Divide the dough into two parts. roll out each part as thin as possible and then cut it into strips.
- Sprinkle the spices/ seeds and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until browned. Allow to cool before munching on.