The nut in a nutshell! Pistachios are fun to eat. I usually buy them with the shell on. The process of taking them out of their shell slows down the eating process and you eat much lesser than you would if you just buy them shelled. They make a fun snack.
With an abundance of Vitamins and minerals pistachios provide nutrients like copper, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and B6. Delicious, healthy and eye catching beautiful!
Speaking of beautiful, my friend Priti shipped me some goodies a while back. In addition to herbs and spices from different corners of the world, she had packed homemade sesame cookies and this beautiful bowl. I fell in love with the bowl and knew that it was going to be featured on the blog many times. Thanks Priti, for the love you share and for just being you.
Pistachios are the 31st of the 38 Power Foods that out blog group, 38 Power foods blog group, focuses on. We take one ingredient each week taking inspiration from the book ; Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients from the editors of the whole living magazine. Each week we all come up with recipes, stories, articles to encourage eating nourishing food. This week the following bloggers are posting along with me :
Jeanette at jeanetteshealthyliving ; Martha at Simply Nourished Living ; Mireya at Myhealthyeatinghabits ; Alyce at More time at the table ; Minnie at thelady8home.com
Kale and Pistachio Pasta Salad
- 2 Cups boiled whole wheat pasta
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2 tbs finely diced onion
- 1/4 C finely chopped bell pepper i used red
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp feta cheese
- 2 tbs lightly toasted pistachio
- 2 tbs lightly toasted pine nuts
- Make a vinaigrette with the salt, pepper, paprika, olive oil and vinegar. Add in the onions and keep for 15- 20 minutes.
- Roughly chop the kale and mix it with the boiled pasta and the peppers.
- Add in the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Top it with feta cheese and the toasted nuts.
- Mix, eat, enjoy!