While you may think that there is no such thing as a Whole Wheat Naan, I assure you there is. Traditionally the whole wheat bread made in tandoor is called the Tandoori Roti, and is most often an unleavened round flat bread. But what if we wanted the yeasty, doughy, spongy qualities of the naan but the wholesome goodness of whole wheat – that’s where the whole wheat naan comes into picture. I think it is best of the both worlds – eating good food that is also good for you.
And if that wasn’t enough, the simplicity of the recipe is sure to make you think that cooking from scratch is not such a huge deal after all. With a little planning, you will be able to churn out a delicious home baked naan in as little as 2- 3 minutes per naan, serve it with a simple dal and salad and dinner is done. Or you could be completely elaborate and make a korma or a masala dish to go with these.
For this recipe, I like to use a combination of whole wheat and all purpose flour. The addition of the all purpose flour lends it a chewy feel in the dough. If you however want to make a 100% whole wheat naan, feel free to do so.
Whole wheat naan is my bread for September #breadbakers event and our host this month is Cali’s Cuisine. Our theme was whole grains and here is a complete list for September’s #BreadBakers Whole Grain theme:
- Blueberry Banana Oat Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bublik – Russian Bagels from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Bulgur Wheat Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Cilantro and Garlic Oat Bread from Simply Veggies
- Corn Pizza on Multigrain Crust from Cook’s Hideout
- Gluten Free Honey Oat Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kitchen Sink Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Multigrain Country Bread from La cocina de Aisha
- Potato Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls from Passion Kneaded
- Rosemary, Garlic, and Parsley Whole Wheat Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tomato and Rosemary Einkorn Focaccia Rounds from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Whole Grain Maple Oat Scones from Cali’s Cuisine
- Whole Grain Oatmeal Blueberry Banana Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Whole Grain Zucchini Macadamia Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Whole Wheat English Muffins from Spill the Spices
- Whole Wheat Date Nut Bread from Magnolia Days
- Whole Wheat Naan from Spiceroots
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.