If a dish is loaded with protein and fiber, has the goodness of vegetables to shine on and is full of natural and deeply satisfying flavors it IS “spectacular”. This brown rice salad is made even more spectacular by the sprouted “muth” /“moth” / “matki” and use of brown rice. And if you have precooked brown rice, this dish comes together like a charm. What else can you ask for on a weeknight? I always make a big batch of rice to save for days when I don’t have time to cook everything from scratch but still want to eat home cooked food. This brown rice salad is my go to recipe for days like that.
- 1C cooked brown rice
- ½ C moth sprouts (or any other bean/legume sprouts you have)
- ¼ C diced bell peppers
- ¼ C chopped scallions
- 1 Tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbs toasted Pine nuts
- ½ Tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cumin+coriander powder
- 1 green chilli minced (use less if you don’t want it too hot)
- 1Tsp Olive oil
- 2-3Tbs Water
- Salt to taste
You know the drill , dontcha !
- Take a pan, heat it. Add the oil and immediately add cumin. Wait for it to do its thing – the splutter!
- Add the bell peppers and garlic
- Stir for a minute until the bell peppers are cooked yet crunchy.
- Now add the cumin+ coriander. Stir and add the water.
- Now add the sprouts and mix it all in.
- Cover and bring the heat to a low and cook for a minute or two.
- What you want is the spices to cook but not burn. Add a Tbs or more of water if you think you need it.
- Now add in the rice, toasted pine nuts, green chilli. Mix , cook for a minute or so and add the scallions.
- Switch off the heat, cover the pan and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and eat with a dash of lemon juice, a side of sautéed mushrooms and a good movie!