Recently a friend tagged me on Facebook linking an article about Kashmiri Bread. He said he wanted to make me feel home sick. The article talked about Bagerkhani, a layered crispy bread made in a tandoor. The fact that he is a complete bread head and knows how much I love baking bread might have had more to do with it than the alleged evil plan of wanting to make me feel homesick.
However, discussing the article with him made me realize that I gravitate towards making breads that somehow resemble the ones that I grew up with. The New York style Bagel, which I made as last month’s bread baker’s theme, was based on Kashmiri Telvor.
And this Month’s theme “Seeded Breads” had me instantly yearning to make Simit – the Turkish ring bread. It had been on my list of breads to make for quite a while. May be because I felt I would taste a bit of home, or feel closer to my roots. The fact is that no one in Kashmir makes Telvor or any of the breads at home. And most people in Turkey don’t make Simit at home. However, the similarities end here.
Simit is a street food in Istanbul. Sold from carts as a snack or sandwich with savory fillings like olives, cheese &sausages. They do have a distinct flavor that comes from pekmez or the grape molasses. I made a double batch to share with friends.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. This month’s theme is Seeds, and is hosted by Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com Don’t forget to check out the rest of the delicious breads with seeds:
- Amaranth Banana Nut Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Anadama Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Bird Seed Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Crunchy Seed Braid from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Everything Dutch Oven Bread from Chef Mireille’s East West Realm
- Hearty Seed Dinner Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Khobz Mzaweq – Moroccan Decorated Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Chia Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Bread from A Baker’s House
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread from The PinterTest Kitchen
- Makowiec – Polish Poppy Seed Bread from Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Multigrain and Seed Bread Extraordinaire from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Multigrain Bread with Flaxseeds from Cooking Club
- Pain Petri (Moroccan Challah) from Passion Kneaded
- Seeded Club Soda Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sesame Studded Grissini from Ruchik Randhap
- Simit – Turkish Ring Bread from Spice Roots
- Six Seed Soda Bread from Bakers and Best
- Sunflower Seed Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
- Sunflower Seed Bread from Kids and Chic