Many a time, I wonder if I had apprenticed at my neighborhood bread maker’s bakery when I was a still an impressionable young person, I might have made a name for myself in the art of making breads. I didn’t apprentice so I have not made anything in the name department for myself. But I did observe and I absorbed. The rhythmic kneading, the gentle folding, the blistering heat and the divine aroma of baked bread. It’s all etched in my memory. And bread making always takes me back home to those carefree days.
I hope someday my daughter looks back on our bread baking projects with some pleasant longing. She loves home made breads and fougasse is one of her favorite breads.
I made the Rosemary and Garlic Fougasse for this month’s breadbaker’s theme of summer bounty. The fresh rosemary lends a nice woody aroma and paired with garlic and olive oil, it simply magnifies the taste. This time I also played around with adding a little more hydration and little less yeast and lot of time. Time is what you need to let the flour do its magic you can have a delicious and beautiful bread.
The best part about this bread is that once it is in the oven, you only need wait a few minutes for it to bake. I think that is the best part. I love eating a hot from the oven bread even though I strongly advise you against it. It burns the mouth sometimes.
Breads using Summer Bounty
Breads using Summer Bounty:
- Almond and Carrot Biscuits from Basic N Delicious
- Cheddar Mielie Bread with Sun-Dried Tomatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Bread Pudding from Bakers and Best
- Eggless Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Garden Herb Focaccia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Herb and Cheese Biscuits from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Herb and Cheese Grissini from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Herbed Butterflaps from Sneha’s Recipe
- Herbs, Spinach and Cheese Bourekas from Cooking Club
- Jalapeño Summer Squash Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Mango Kolache from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Peach & Blueberry Meringue Pull Apart Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Peach Pull-Apart Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peaches and Cream Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pizza Cipolla – Onion Pizza from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Garlic Fougasse from Spice Roots
- Rosemary Breadsticks from A Baker’s House
- Spinach Semolina Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Studded Zucchini Yeast Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sundried Tomato Focaccia with Sauteed Summer Veggies & Garden Salad from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Tomato, Onion, Parmesan Focaccia from Noshing With The Nolands
- Walnut Oat Crumble Courgette Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Wholewheat Onion, Spinach & Red Pepper Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Wholewheat Zucchini Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Zucchini Oatmeal Bread from Cali’s Cuisine
- Zucchini/Jalapeño/Cheese Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here.
Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.