As soon as Jenni announced the theme for this month’s Bread Baker’s I knew I wanted to make an Indian bread and that I wanted to make a Kulcha. The theme for this month is “Stuffed Bread”! Bread by itself is temptations galore, and stuffed bread is temptations with some golden butter on top. I make some kind of stuffed bread every once a while and most of the time it is the Aalu Paratha – Potato stuffed flatbread that is fried in ghee on a skillet. But this time I wanted to make a Kulcha and that too an Amritsari Paneer Kulcha.
The only problem was that though I knew what I wanted to make, I did not know how. A detailed search over the internet left me completely unsatisfied about the authenticity of the numerous Amritsari Kulcha’s splattered all over the web. My quest for an authentic recipe for Amritsari Kulcha led me straight to my friend Dr. Aman Kahlon who is the go to guy for all things Punjab and Amritsar related. A few minutes later, I walked away with a recipe, instructions and a lot of confidence. This is as authentic as it gets! I am so thrilled to be sharing this recipe because not only is it easy, it is absolutely delicious.
The Amrtisari kulcha is served with chole that are made sans ghee or oil and I made those to serve with the Paneer Kulcha.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
Thank you, Jenni for a wonderful theme this month. And now, here are the breads that we baked for May.
- Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Monkey Bread from Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story
- Cinnamon Roll Quickbread from Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Cream Pan – Japanese Custard Filled Buns from Shireen at Ruchik Randhap
- Figgy Olive Oil and Sesame Challah from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Jam filled Danish Pastries from Holly at A Baker’s House
- No-Knead Apricot Sweet Rolls from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Baked Peas Kachori from Shilpi at SimplyVeggies
- Cauliflower, Paneer & Peas Stromboli from Priya at I Camp in my Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Stuffed Pretzel Buns from Allison at The PinterTest Kitchen
- Cheesy Pizza Wheels from Tara at Noshing with the Nolands
- Chicken Stuffed Casserole Bread from Vimala at Cooking Club
- Cuban Sandwich-Stuffed Cuban Bread from Jenni at Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online
- Gruyère Stuffed Crusty Loaves from Adam at Bakers and Best
- Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Pretzel Rolls from Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Jamaican Meat Loaf from Kelly of Passion Kneaded
- Paneer Kulcha from Anshie at Spice Roots
- Prosciutto, Salami and Mozzarella Stromboli from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Russian Pirozhki from Mireille at Chef Mireille’s East West Realm
- Sri Lankan Seeni Sambol Buns from Pavani at Cook’s Hideout
- Stuffed Bazlama – Turkish Bread from Sneha at Sneha’s Recipe
- Stuffed Black Garlic Monkey Bread from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Stuffed Pretzel Bites from Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tiganopsomo – Feta-Stuffed Fried Bread from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini and Goat Cheese Stuffed Bread from Aisha at La cocina de Aisha