The theme for September Bundt Bakers was to Create a “Healthy Cheat, Sneak or Substitute” recipe. Hiding a vegetable in your cake, substitute apple sauce or banana instead of oil, or try out an alternative oil or flour. I chose to make the Whole Wheat Banana Bundt Cake as the healthy cheat. Not only does it not use processed flour, it has no processed anything in it. To top it’s healthy benefits, it is made with the least amount of butter. Just the right amount of fat needed to soften the gluten in the wheat. I also used a whole wheat pastry flour, which has a lower protein content than whole wheat. Pastry flour is ground from the soft wheat berry that has less gluten and protein than the hard wheat.
There is also maple syrup for sugar and greek yogurt instead of copious amounts of butter. I had always wanted to make a lighter, healthier version of a banana bread. And this one takes the cake. I mean it’s still sugary and full of carbs but at least the ingredients are good for you in moderate quantities.
What a wonderful theme suggested by our wonderful host, Andrea from Adventures in All Things Food. I simply had so much fun making it. To serve I used a little bit of date molasses and Tablespoon of brown sugar to caramelize the banana. The husband’s share got a little bit of rum as well.
Here are some more healthy , sneaky substitutes in the bundt cakes by our wonderful bundt baking blogger friends. Check them out.
- Almond Bundtlettes by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Avocado Mini Bundts by Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Black Forest Tomato Bundt Cake by Shilpi at Simplyveggies
- Choco-flower Apple Bundt Cake by Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Orange Bundt Cake by Nichole at Cookaholic Wife
- Fall Fruits Bundt Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Flourless Chocolate Bundt Cake by Colleen at Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Secret Spice Yoghurt Cake by Jane at Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake by Bee at The Queen of Scones
- Vanilla Bean Malt Bundt Cake by Felice at All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Whole Wheat Banana Bundt Cake byAnshie at Spiceroots
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
Whole Wheat Banana Bundt Cake #Bundtbakers
- 1.5 C cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.5 C Whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 5 bananas preferably over ripe and frozen
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 C plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2/3 C milk
- 1.5 C dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the bundt pan with butter and flour coating.
Whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, salt, baking soda.
Mash the bananas in a blender. Add in the butter, maple syrup, milk, eggs, egg yolk, yogurt, vanilla essence to a bowl and add in the bananas. Mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips
Add the wet ingredients to the dry in two to three additions.
Pour into the bundt pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until done. Allow to stand on a wire rack for 30 minutes to cool and then invert the cake pan onto the wire rack to get it out of the pan.
Let it cool completely before slicing.
for banana topping ( optional)
Add a little butter to a pan and slice a banana into small pcs.
allow to caramelize on its own , then add some molasses, a little bit of brown sugar and tsp of lemon juice. cook until sugar dissolves. You may even deglaze with rum.