A tandoori fish without yogurt and gram flour aka a paleo fish tikka recipe! This dish is naturally gluten free (make sure all the spices you buy don’t have any gluten added). I am slowly getting used to eating gluten and dairy free, so I changed the traditional tandoori fish tikka recipe to be dairy and grain free.
A bright colored dish, full of goodness of spices and easy to cook.
This Barramundi fish recipe comes together very quick and can be added to a weeknight rotation. Especially if you make a batch of tandoori spice mix and keep it handy. My recommendation is to make your own from the spices that may already be in your pantry, but if you want to use a pre made store bought version, make sure there are no artificial colors and preservatives in it.
For the Salad in this dish, I used kale spinach and spring greens, sliced onions, cucumbers, Peruvian sweety peppers and had a mint and cilantro chutney on the side. The dressing for the salad was olive oil and vinegar with some salt and mustard. You can eat this tandoori fish with anything. As a salad, in a taco, cut into small size for an appetizer or served with some lemon rice.
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. This month’s theme is about making favorite recipes healthier, and our host is Susan who blogs at The Wimpy Vegetarian.
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats it’s a virtual party. The host for the month chooses the theme and members share recipes on that theme suitable for a delicious meal or party. Then you can hop from blog to blog to check them out. So come along and see all of the delicious and inspired dishes!
Healthier Versions of Favorite Dishes
- Raspberry and Lime Vodka Soda – Creative Culinary
- Tandoori Fish Tikka Salad – Spiceroots
- White Bean and Artichoke Heart Dip – Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili – The Heritage Cook
- Vegan Sloppy Joe Sliders – The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Baked Crab Cakes – Healthy Delicious
- Orzo Salad with Roasted Vegetables – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Swiss Chard – Mother Would Know
Tandoori Fish Tikka Salad
Gluten free, dairy free and grain free Fish tikka recipe that comes together in minutes
- 4 ( 4oz Each) barramundi filets thawed if using frozen
Tandoori Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder Or Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon ajwain bishop’s weed – slightly crushed with a rolling pin
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves
Rest of the marinade
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
Oil for pan frying
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- Using a kitchen towel, pat dry the fish fillets
In a medium bowl, mix all the spices for the tandoori spice mix , 1 tbs oil, egg and the salt to make a marinade
- Coat each piece of fish with marinade on both sides and let it sit for at least 15 minutes
- Heat a cast iron pan (or any pan that is not nonstick) and put 1 tablespoon of the oil in
- Gently lower 2 of the fillets into the pan and cook on medium high heat, until crisp at the bottom
- Turn the fillets over and cook on medium heat until cooked through.
My mouth is watering! It sounds so yummy 🙂 Can’t wait to try it. Going to pin such a nice recipe.
This is an amazing dish. I don’t have words to describe the aroma, but it tastes like heaven. Thank you so much for sharing!
This dish is lovely and a good reminder that I need to add more fish to my diet; I’m craving this BAD!
I love this Anshie and your salad is gorgeous! Now I’m dreaming of this beautiful fish in a taco and with lemon rice too!!
I need a few of the ingredients, but when I get them (at my local South Asian market) you can be sure this is going on my “to make” list, pronto! Love the idea of tandoori fish.
This is stunning! And it looks incredibly delicious and flavor-packed. I’m saving this one to make soon.
What a gorgeous salad. All of the spices sound amazing together.
SO flavorful and beautiful plated on a refreshing salad! What a delicious way to expand my seafood repertoire!!!