For those busy days when time seems to fly, I rely heavily on salads. Especially a salad like sweet potato and black bean salad. Filling, nutritious salads that look lively and feel like a smile on a plate are the ones I feel pulled towards. I love eating root vegetables and while I do make simple, everyday Indian curries out of those, I also love to use the root veggies in Salads. They are quick to cook , can be cooked ahead of time and the salads can be made ahead of time.
In addition to the root vegetables being really flavorful they are chock full of nutrition. The sweet potato and black bean salad with avocado lemon cilantro dressing is a quick grab and go meal that is also nutrient dense. I usually keep a few sweet potatoes baked or boiled in the fridge and put together a dish using them, especially on busy days. For this salad I add in some creamy deliciousness of an avocado and earthy beans, some smoky cumin and let them have some fun together. Then bring in some lime, cilantro, salt and chillies and you have a lip smacking dish that you would be proud to present to company. Only that you may not always want to share.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/4 C red onions diced
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Thai green chilli
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 c cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp roasted ground cumin
- 1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put sweet potatoes and onions on a large baking sheet, drizzle with 1/2 tsp coconut oil (warmed) , toss to coat and spread out in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until potatoes begin to brown and are tender inside, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; keep on pan until ready to mix with dressing.
- 2. Put the cilantro, chili and the olive oil in a blender add in lemon juice,some salt and pepper and the cumin. Process until blended.
- 3. Put warm vegetables in a large bowl with beans; toss in the dressing . Add in the avocado just before serving and toss once more.