This is a summer BBQ special at my home and is “Kick A$$” as a dear friend puts it. What makes the stuffed Tangdi kebab different from the regular tangdi kebab ? Its the Stuffing! Bring the thanksgiving into your summer backyard. I make this with a home made Tandoori Masala, but you can get yourself a tandoori masala pack from the Indian grocers too. Is there a difference in flavor ? There sure is, but you got to take shortcuts when you got to take them.
Plan for Tandoori kebab:
- 10 chicken drumsticks , skin removed[preferably organic chicken]
- Salt – about a tsp [more or less as per your taste]
- 5 TBS Tandoori Masala [if you are using the store bought product, follow the instructions on it]
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tbs Garlic paste
- 2 Tbs ginger paste
- 3-4 Tbs plain yogurt
- Red chilli powder as per heat level – I use about 2 tsp
- 5-6 saffron strands
- optional – tandoori color – a couple of drops.
Plan for stuffing :
- 1/4 pound mince lamb
- 1 shallot -finely minced
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 TBS oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
Cooking the Stuffing:
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet
- Add the cumin seeds and wait for them to crackle
- Add the shallot
- cook till shallot turn transparent
- Add the lamb and cook on medium for 10 minutes
- ensure you stir it often
- Add the nutmeg, garam masala and cook for another 3-5 minutes
- Finally add the black pepper powder; mix and remove from heat source.
- Let it cool
- Ensuring you keep the pocket like part in the drumstick intact, Run a sharp knife through the other meaty parts of the drumsticks to make 2 – 3 incisions. [ use this technique]
- Apply salt + turmeric + Garlic paste to the chicken pieces and leave for about 5 minutes
- Now add the Tandoori powder , the red chilli powder and the ginger paste. Rub this dry mix into the chicken and let it stand for 10 minutes
- Mix the saffron in the curd and you may also add the tandoori color.
- Coat the chicken with the curd and saffron mix
- Let this stand for 45 minutes and you are ready to grill.
Get the Grill on:
- Get the grill ready
- Divide the filling into 10 portions and fill into the pockets of the drumstick.
- Do this just before grilling to avoid contamination of the cooked stuffing.
Grill on medium heat preferably on a charcoal grill.
Preheat oven to 350*F and place chicken directly on the rack. cook for 20 min. then turn and cook for 15 min.
Now place the oven on broil and cook for 2 min each side. you have a perfect looking Tandoori chicken ready .
- No excess yogurt
- No lemon or vinegar while grilling or in the marinade
- No basting with oil – you will be frying the chicken not grilling it
My friends just lift this off the grill, add a dash of lemon juice and munch on. In case you have a more (ahem) sober crowd around you, plate it on a bed of sauteed onions, with a wedge of lemon and some pudina(mint) chutney