These stained glass cookies are Christmas Tree ornaments and cookies all in one. For kids it’s a cookie and candy all in one! For the Baker, these look like art and yet are simple to make. And when they are hung on the tree, the light penetrating through them looks magical. Hence, this was my choice for the Cookie Exchange. I wanted to make something that would make everyone happy. After all, Happiness is synonymous with Holidays. These cookies make me look good!
Stained Glass Cookies
- 1 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 C cup sugar Plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- Jolly Rancher Candies in different flavors and colors
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat until mixed in, scraping down side of bowl often. Add flour and mix on low speed until dough comes together in a ball.
- Divide the dough in three equal portions. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 1 hours .
- Heat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Crush the candies in blender or mortar and pestle. Keep each color separate.
- Remove one piece of dough from the refrigerator and roll out dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut out dough with cookie cutter. Cut out center of each cookie with another smaller cutter. Transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- Carefully fill the cutouts with candy. Sprinkle cookies with some sugar. Bake at 375 F until cookies are firm and Browned at the base. About 8 minutes.
- Repeat with the entire dough.