“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” –Albert Camus
America! Some people love us; some people loathe us; some people hate our guts but mostly everyone is in awe of us. It’s the very essence of our nation to be free, to value individualism, to respect others point of view especially when we may not agree with them, to defend those who cannot stand up for themselves and to fight for freedom constantly.
I started being an American when I started being part of the community around me. When 4th of July became a real celebration to honor the Freedom that our founding fathers dreamed for our nation. When a celebration of any holiday seemed, incomplete if I did not share it with my community – the neighbors, the local food banks, the meals on wheels programs, and everyone who does something to make my life a little easier.
Being an American taught me to be appreciative of the work everyone else puts in so that my day is easier. To take pride in my work and everyone’s work around me. Being an American also means that not only do I get to enjoy my freedom – to live a life I always dreamed of, but to make it possible for someone around me to have a better day, by doing a little something for them. And it means that that I can make whatever the heck I want to make to Celebrate our Independence day!!
With that patriotic feeling in my heart, today I bring you the Red White Blue Pina Colada. I had hoped and visualized it to be this great looking layered drink that would have clean defined lines. But the red white blue pina colada had other plans. You see it is also from the land of the free. So it decided to have its own mind and I let it. And to be honest, I quite like the uneven colors, the running off of the colors and the overall look of the drink.
Taste wise, it is a delicious pina colada that went well with our spicy Tandoori BBQ dishes. The cooling effect of the fat in the coconut cream was just wonderful. And the show stopping looks gathered many adulations for the drink and the drink maker aka the Husband. What does it mean to be an American for you? How do you celebrate the national Holidays?
Red White Blue Pina Colada
- 2 parts rum
- 2 parts coconut cream
- 6 parts pineapple juice
- 1 Cup of ice crushed
- 1 to 2 oz Blue curaco or as needed
- 1 to 2 oz Red Grenadine or as needed
- Blend the rum, coconut cream, pineapple juice and ice until well blended
- Divide into three portions. Color one portion with the blue curaco and one portion with the red grenadine.
- Layer in a tall glass with red at the bottom, followed by the plain white and then the blue.
- Serve immediately.
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. Our menu this month features a cocktail and dishes perfect for your 4th of July bash! We’ve got a great mix from appetizer to desserts; and yes, we have multiple desserts perfect for this summer holiday! Hosting this month is Barb from Creative Culinary.
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
- Red, White and Blue Pina Colada from Spice Roots
- Grilled Patriotic Pizza from Pastry Chef Online
- Patriotic Composed Vegetable Salad from Mother Would Know
- Hydrating Fruit Salad from Healthy Delicious
- Dessert Ice Cream Sundaes with Homemade Blueberry Sauce from The Heritage Cook
- Dessert Stars and Stripes Patriotic Berry Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red, White and Blue Shortcake with Lemon Pound Cake from Creative Culinary