As a Kashmiri, I love the meats, but I love my greens too. The leafy green ones at that. Yes they are a pain to clean up and wash. But the aroma, taste , versatility and the health benefits of these greens makes up for all the hard work one puts in.
Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, and vitamin B6. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, protein, phosphorous, zinc and vitamin E. In addition, it is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, niacin and selenium : WHF
For an in-depth nutritional profile click here: Spinach.
Methi – Has medicinal properties, treats a lot of stomach related issues and skin related problems as well.
Now if we combine the two Big greens, the result not only is delicious, its very good for health as well.
One dish That i combine the two in is Methi chaman.
The beauty of greens
- 2 bunches of methi
- 1 bunch spinach
- 3 green chillies
- 1 in pc of ginger ..grated.
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 10-15 paneer cubes/squares
- some oil.
- Blanch and shock the greens. [ blanch = boil water , add greens, stir and take out when the greens go deep green]
- [shock = put the greens after blaching into icecold water]
- this process lets you keep greens as greens
- Now drain the greens and grind them together with the green chillies.
- Keep this paste aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and lightly fry the paneer cubes.
- when done, reduce the quantity of oil as per your liking and add the ginger. stir fry and add green paste.
- add the coriander powder and chilli powder. and some salt to taste.
- cook until oil separates and then add the paneer .
- Have fun.. serve it with Naan, paratha or even roti.