The lampropsomo is the traditional Greek Easter bread. Braided with three strings of dough that symbolize the Holy Trinity, and tucked into the dough are four red eggs that symbolize the blood of Jesus Christ. This bread is traditionally prepared with an essence makhlep, or is flavored with mastic. I used cardamom to add the aroma and shaped it into a round bread. The bread has a nice crust and a tender crumb. Just perfect to eat some lamb with.
Though it was a bitter sweet time for us at Easter, I did make it a point to celebrate. My uncle, dad’s elder brother, died last June after a long battle with cancer. He was a very religious Christian, although he was not born into the religion. He found his true calling in Christianity and once he converted to it, he was true to it. Though the rest of the family did not understand his choice, they sure respected it. As a result, I was brought up knowing and understanding more than one religion.
My Uncle always observed the lenten period. And he always celebrated Easter. There were no egg hunts or glorious breads but there was prayer and singing of the hymns. Though he celebrated it simply, I know he would have loved this bread on his Easter Table. Here is to you DaddySahib!
This is my bread for the #BreadBakers for April. This month, Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla has chosen breads from around the world that are traditional for Easter, Passover or Springtime.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at email@example.com.
Here’s our International Easter/Passover/Spring Bread Basket – Enjoy!
- Bacci Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Casatiello by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Choereg – Armenian Easter Bread by Chef Mireille’s East West Realm
- Colomba Pasquale (Easter Dove Bread) by Cook’s Hideout
- Cornish Saffron Easter Bread by Pastry Chef Online
- Folar (Portuguese Easter Bread) by Passion Kneaded
- Hot Cross Buns by En la Cocina de Caro
- Hornazo De Salamanca – Spanish Easter Bread by Ruchik Randhap
- Hungarian Egg Twist by Hostess at Heart
- Hungarian White Bread by Magnolia Days
- Individual Braided Easter Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Easter Bread by La Cocina de Aisha
- Lambropsomo – Greek Easter Bread by Spice Roots
- Lithuanian Easter Raisin Bread by My Catholic Kitchen
- Matzo by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Mennonite Paska by Food Lust People Love
- Pääsiäisleipä – Finnish Easter Bread by Bakers and Best
- Pane di Pasqua – Italian Easter Bread Wreath by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Polish Bobka Easter Bread by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Russian Kulich by That’s My Home
- Springtime Sweet Bread by Cooking club
- Strawberry Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tsoureki (Greek Easter Bread) by Simply Veggies