There are some moments that you live for just yourself. A moment with tea is just like that. It’s the essential “me” time that you get to spend with your cuppa.
Does your elixir look like a garden in a teapot? A blooming tea infusing is a sight worth watching. Spectacular! Have your girl friends over and make a statement. You are a Diva!
Or does your brew awaken the senses with the aromas of spices? And you have concocted the magical masala chai that lifts up spirits on any day . You are the high priestess of brewing!
Or are you the one who waits patiently for a few leaves of green tea or herb tea to slowly infuse, sings songs and looks towards the mountains or the lake or the river or even the high rise buildings and gets dreamy eyed… oh where have you been Magical nymph!!
Whether you are the Diva or the high priestess or the nymph, the time you have with your cup of tea is pure magic. Adding another magical recipe to your secret weapon stash would be nice.. won’t it?
So presenting the recipe for the beloved Kashmiri Kahwa. It’s a concoction that works wonders. Healthy green tea, sensuous saffron, nutty crunchy almonds, aromatic cardamom, hot cinnamon, fresh water and blissful sugar. Divine, mystical, sexy! Kashmiri Kahwa is as good as they make it sound to be.
You need to make this with a pure green tea that looks something like this :
Deep breath. Relax!
- 1 C plus 4 tbs Water
- 1/4 tsp kawa tea leaves
- a pinch of cardamom powder
- a pinch of cinnamon powder
- one or two strands of saffron
- one almond - slivered or in kashmiri fashion crushed in a little mortar and pestle.
- 1/2 tsp sugar Add more sugar as per your taste
Bring the water to a boil in a small pot.
- Once the water simmers, add the cardamom, cinnamon, saffron and sugar.
- Stir to mix
- Add the tea leaves.This concoction should be really boiling at high.
- Let it boil for a moment or two and then strain into the cup.
- Add the almonds. Pick up your cup and tune into yourself!
The authentic kashmiri way to add the green tea is to rub it between the palms of your hands