Kashmiri Chokhta – Pan roasted lamb is one of the easiest Kashmiri dishes to make. There is absolutely no chopping, dicing, slicing involved. Want to make a special meal for a date night ? here is how you can do it –
Chokhta – The pan Roasted Lamb
- 1 pounds boneless cubes of Lamb [goat meat would also work]
- 1/2 C Oil [ preferable Mustard oil that has been warmed and smoked out before you begin to cook]
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida [ hing ] a couple of pinches
- 2 tbs Kashmiri Red chilli powder or Degi mirch use less for a milder heat
- Ginger powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp [ a Mix of cardamom and cinnamon only would actually be more befitting]
- One stick cinnamon
- 2 Cups water
1 Put the lamb in a degh / or heavy bottomed pan along with water, oil, salt and hing.
2. Cover up and cook for about 15 minutes. Stir once in a while to ensure all of it mixes well.
3. Check for the doneness after 15 minutes. you should be able to put in a fork into the meat effortlessly. If its done, let the water dry up. If not .. cook it some more till its tender and then let the water dry up.
4.Once the liquid dries up, the lamb will start to cook in the oil. Lower the heat and keep cooking till the meat gets an even brown tone and starts to get crisp.
5.Now add the chilli powder, Mixed in a few table spoons of water and stir as if your life depended on it. this is because the dish depends on it .. the chilli powder should not get burnt.
6.The dish would attain a dark red color.
7. Add in the ginger powder and a tea spoon more of water. The idea is the same.. the dry powder should not burn .
8. Cook till the oil separates. add the garam masala.. cook some more and spoon out on a plate of Boiled Long grained white rice.
9. Cuddle up on the couch with your guy/girl and eat from the same plate ..
OK Point No 9 can have variations and so can the serving suggestions 🙂
(Visited 284 times, 1 visits today)