Ina Garten – The woman who rekindled my passion for cooking. It was a very boring rainy afternoon in the Keystone resort. Boring because it was almost fall but not quite the colorful fall, it was not winter yet and we were at a ski resort doing nothing because it was raining with lightening and thunderstorms. With the kid being a tiny elementary schooler then, who religiously fell asleep at nap times, I had nothing better to do than flip the TV on and watch something, anything. This story is from when I first moved to the US and TV as a ritualistic watching had not yet ingrained in my system.
On the screen was this warm personality who was cooking for someone coming over to her house. And the way she went about the business of cooking on TV, made me yearn to go back home and be with my mom. My love for Ina and her books and shows started on that boring, rainy day in Keystone.
So now you can understand why I am so thrilled about this blog group. It’s all about Ina. The first Friday of every month, we will blog one course using an Ina Garten recipe. Each food blog will feature a recipe on the same day. So most of the time we won’t know until the last minute if more of us are making the same recipe. I am thinking one of these days we may all be posting the same recipe ! That would quite interesting! For today’s post I made the Grilled Herb Shirmp. It’s quick, flavorful and so easy to put together.
Featured below are the wonderful bloggers who are on this journey with me –
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Barbara @ Moveable Feasts
- Bhavna @ Just a Girl From AAmchi Mumbai
- Chaya @ Bizzy Bakes
- Linda @ There and Back Again (Starting in May)
- Martha @ Simple Nourished Living (Starting in May)
- Minnie @ The Lady 8 Home
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Nancy @ My Picadillo
- Veronica@ My Catholic Kitchen (Starting in May)
Grilled Herb Shrimp – Ina Garten Fridays
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 2 Tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs fresh basil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- a dash of ground pepper
- 1 Tbs cup olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Lb shrimp peeled and deveined tails intact
- Vegetable oil for grilling
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the onion, garlic, parsley, basil, mustard, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. You don't need a paste, just a whizz or two to make a mince. Alternately mince the onion, garlic and herbs and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add in the shrimp and leave it at room temperature for at least an hour.
- Heat a grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush the rack or pan with vegetable oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking.
- Skewer 5 to 6 shrimp on a skewer
- Grill the shrimp on each side, until opaque and lightly charred, about 1 1/2 minutes.