It’s the 38 Power Foods Blog Friday and our ingredient for today is the Pecans. A daily handful of pecans is said to reduce the overall risk of heart disease. The unsaturated fats in pecans help lower the LDL cholesterol. Pecan nuts are rich source of many phyto-chemical substances that may contribute to their overall antioxidant activity, including polyphenolic antioxidant ellagic acid, vitamin E, beta-carotene, lutein and zea-xanthin. Research studies have been suggestive of that these compounds help the body remove toxic oxygen-free radicals and thus, protect the body from diseases, cancers, as well as infections.
The nuts are very rich sources of several important B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, vitamin B-6, and folates. Together, these vitamins work as co-factors for the enzyme metabolism inside the human body.
Source : 38 Power foods and Nutrition and you .
This Banana bread with pecans and hemp seeds is wholesome and flavorful. The pecans and hemp seeds add in nutrients and add texture. You may add in some walnuts too.
38 Power Foods blog group focuses on one ingredient each week taking inspiration from the book ; Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients from the editors of the whole living magazine. Each week we all come up with recipes, stories, articles to encourage eating nourishing food. This week the following bloggers are posting along with me :
Banana Bread with Pecans and Hemp seeds
- 2 tbs unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp oil to coat the pan
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c hemp seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c pecans
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 egg whole
- 1 egg white
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Brush a 9x5x3 in pan with the oil
- Whisk together the flours, hemp seeds, salt, baking soda and baking powder
- Beat the egg and the egg white on medium low speed until combined
- Add the butter, sugar, vanilla, bananas and mix until combined
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined
- Stir in the pecans and mix by hand
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 to 35 min until golden brown
- Allow it to cool slightly on a wire rack before turning onto the rack to cool completely, top side up
The bread can be wrapped tightly and kept at room temperature for about 3- 4 days.