Cooked leftover rice is always a great thing, so I always make extra whenever I can. It freezes well, stays great in the refrigerator for a couple of days and is versatile. So when I had some thin sprigs of asparagus left over from another dish, and some rice from a couple of days ago, I thought why not make something with all green vegetables.
I used spinach, green asparagus, green onions, green garlic and green Thai chilies and a bit of soy sauce and some dark sesame oil. The flavors in this dish are fresh yet earthy and nutty because of the sesame oil. I used leftover basmati rice for this, but I am going to try using short grain brown rice the next time.
- 1C boiled white rice
- ¼ C chopped asparagus
- ¼ C sliced green onions
- 1C baby spinach
- 1Tsp dark sesame oil
- 1tsp dark soy sauce
- 1Tbs chopped green garlic
- 1 green Thai chili chopped very fine
- A dash of salt
- Heat a wok on medium heat setting. Once hot, add the oil and immediately add the asparagus.
- Stir and cook and allow to sizzle for a minute or so, until the asparagus is slightly cooked. Now add in the garlic, cook for a minute and add the spinach.
- Allow the spinach to slightly wilt, add the green onions, salt, soy sauce, chili and mix it all in.
- Now add in the rice, continue to stir and mix until all the ingredients come together.
- Plate and serve with a soy sauce dipping or pack as a nice work lunch
The total cook time is based on the assumption that you have leftover cooked rice.
Add toasted sesame seeds for a nutty flavor.
- you can added some toasted sesame seeds as a garnish and some extra nutty crunchy munchy flavor!
(Visited 32 times, 1 visits today)