It’s the strange but good sort of a day with the Bundt Bakers. And that’s why you are being forced to partake in a recipe that uses tomato soup as one of it’s ingredients. If you think adding tomato soup in my chocolate bundt is way too weird, wait till you see what the other strange (ahem) Bunt Bakers have come up with!
As weird as it sounds, it is not all that uncommon – the tomato soup cake! It has been known to have made it’s presence in the depression era. And there are scores of recipes, old and new that make use of tomato soup in a chocolate cake. So I thought it fit the theme of strange but good-weird flavor combinations for Bundt Bakers and also gave me an opportunity to try making this cake in a bundt pan and see how it fared.
I really wanted to try the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum’s, Heavenly cakes. But using a can of tomato soup was not going to happen. Yes, some may argue that there isn’t anything nutritious about a cake and that it IS made of processed flour and sugar. But the canned soups had way more unrecognizable ingredients than I could justify. So, I did end up using Rose’s recipe but I modified it a bit for altitude and used a little jar of tomato paste. I am really not sure how different is it from the original recipe, but one thing I can tell you – it was the silkiest chocolate EVER! The crumb actually MELTS in the mouth! I am going to make tomato paste a standard in chocolate cakes from now on. It’s THAT GOOD.
Our Lovely host this month is Jen, Better known by her nom de plume, June. June blogs at How to Philosophize with Cake
Here are our strange but good-weird flavor combinations for this month! Go on! I know you are curious to find out just how weird we all are and I am happy to say we won’t disappoint!
- Banana Bacon Bundt Cake by Liv For Cake
- Beet and Beer Red Velvet Bundt Cake by I Sugar Coat It
- Beet and Blood Orange Bundt Cake by Brooklyn Homemaker
- Black Pepper and Red Wine Bundt Cake by Passion Kneaded
- Caramelized Pineapple Blue Cheese Corncake Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Banana Bacon Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Lemon Bundt Cake by I Bake He Shoots
- Chocolate Liquorice Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Chocolate Potato Bundt Cake with Strawberry Glaze by Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Tomato Soup Bundt Cake by SpiceRoots
- Coconut and Rose Syrup Bundt Cake by I Camp In My Kitchen
- Coconut, Cardamom, and Orange Cake by Baking Yummies
- Dark Chocolate Beet Cake by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Dark Chocolate Stout Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Junk Food Bundt Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Lemon Rosemary Bundt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lovely Fields Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Mini Mayonnaise and Chocolate Bundt Cakes by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Olive Oil Rosemary Bundt Cake by Tartacadabra
- Orange Bourbon Rosemary Bundt Cake by The Spiced Life
- Peanut Butter Sour Cream Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Six Flavor Bundt by Making Miracles
- Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Bundt by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Triple Rum Black Pepper Bundt Cake by How to Philosophize with Cake
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.