I am always thinking ginger during Holidays. Ginger and Holidays are kind of hand in hand. The warm, woody flavors of ginger perfectly compliment the Holiday spirit. The baking aromas from anything ginger makes a warm welcoming home in the cold chilly days. The other day while my home security system company people landed up to do a check up of the system which was going to last a couple of hours. Since I was home with nothing to do but to just be there, I decided to bake these chewy ginger cookies. So I got my dough ready, put it in the refrigerator, set the oven to pre heat and all the while the gals and guys responsible for the security of my home kept at their work, barely saying anything to me.
Then, I baked the cookies. The aromas started to waft through. The guys and gals started to ask what I was baking. And then I took these babies out and on to the wire rack for cooling. And since I had more time on hands and it was a ‘good light’ day, I decided to photograph them while they were still warm. It was sort of awkward to just pull out the gear, lay the cookies on a plate and try and photograph them with a bunch of strangers working in my house. But I decided to do it anyway. Light, time and cookies wait for no one!
By the time I finished photographing them, the security system was up and running as well. And the guys and gals were getting ready to leave. As I was signing off the papers they had for me, I asked them if they would like some cookies. “Like? We would love to! We thought you were never gonna ask us to try some!” And so they dived into the cookies and ate some. The merriment in that moment, sharing a small thing in exchange for so much joy is what matters to me the most. As I write this post from the island of Kauai, I am smiling again because of that moment. Though it is also a day to pack up and head out home, leaving the peace and tranquility behind. But then again, peace and tranquility is always within us, we just need to stay still to find it. Hope you all have Happy and full of good memories Holiday Season!
The chewy ginger cookies were for the Creative Cookie Exchange. The theme this month is Ginger! Dried and ground, candied, fresh–if you like ginger in your cookies you have come to the right place! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Buttery Ginger Shortbread Cookies by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chewy Ginger Cookies by Anshie at Spiceroots
- Chocolate-Ginger Chewies by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Favourite Gingerbread Cookies by Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Ginger Chocolate Ninja Cookies by Kim at NinjaBaker.com
- Ginger Curry Sugar Cookies by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Ginger Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Sophie at Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Ginger Molasses Cutout Cookies by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Ginger Sour Cream Cookies by Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Oat, Orange and Ginger Crisps by Jill at Made With Love
- Orange Ginger Cookies by Shilpi at Indian Curries/Stew
- Pepparkakor (Swedish Ginger Cookies) by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Refrigerator Ginger Cookies by Tanya at DessertStalking Blog
- Séches aux Gingembre by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Vegan Ginger Cookies with Cardamom by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks