“I am rich today with autumn’s gold,
All that my covetous hands can hold;
Frost-painted leaves and goldenrod,
A goldfinch on a milkweed pod,
Huge golden pumpkins in the field
With heaps of corn from a bounteous yield,
Golden apples heavy on the trees
Rivaling those of Hesperides,
Golden rays of balmy sunshine spread
Over all like butter on warm bread;
And the harvest moon will this night unfold
The streams running full of molten gold.
Oh, who could find a dearth of bliss
with autumn glory such as this!”
– Gladys Harp
A walk by the Harper Lake in Louisville treated me to the music of crisp crunchy leaves. What fine music they make along with the blowing wind and what a pretty site it is to see. The breeze making waves on the water, the setting sun in the not so distant mountains and everything so golden that it feels like a gentle kiss from the sun.
I felt like extending that kiss from the sun and bring it inside my home. So I made this curried butternut squash soup and served it with homemade rustic bread. I had planned for leftovers for my lunch, but sometimes plans don’t work. Hubz and kid finished the soup mumbling some words between spoonfuls. I am thinking they were saying that it was good because we had no leftovers.
Here is how I made it
- 1 butternut squash, cut into two lengthwise
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 Tsp garlic chopped
- 4 cups veg stock
- ½ C milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1 tsp sugar
- Cut the squash lengthwise into two. Pre Heat oven to 400F . Place squash cut side down on a pan. Bake for 35- 40 min
- Once cooked, allow to cool. Scoop out the meaty part and leave the skin out.
- Add oil in a pan, cook sliced onions and then add garlic
- Add the stock, salt if u need, bring it to a boil add the squash, blend with a hand blender until the soup comes together.
- Add the milk, allow it to come to a boil, add the pepper, basil, sugar.. mix.
- Serve with a rustic bread and herbs mixed in olive oil . Add a Salad if you need.