The first fresh crop of Asparagus in my natural grocery store makes me feel spring is here. While there are the white and purple varieties too, Green is my personal favorite. Colorful, feisty and crunchy asparagus , after the long, colorless winter nights is a treat to the eyes.
There are unlimited ways of making asparagus rolls. I made this batch a little more Indian to suit my personal taste. Its a glad feeling when the house smells like you have been baking for hours, the recipe looks like you have worked hard in the kitchen, but in fact is quick and easy. Now who wouldn’t want that!!
- 12 Asparagus spears
- 6 Phyllo dough sheets
- A few tbs of melted butter
- 1/3 cup Gruyere
- 1/4 cup cilantro and mint chutney
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
Adv prep: Preheat oven to nice 350* F
Discard the tough ends of the asparagus
- Take one sheet on the Phyllo and fold it in half, lengthwise
- Apply butter on the entire length of the folded sheet
- Now put two of the asparagus spears on one of the short ends of the phyllo sheet ; The spear end of the asparagus stays outside the phyllo sheet
- Brush on some chutney on the asparagus and add few garlic slices too
- Now sprinkle some Gruyere
- Roll the phyllo sheet and the asparagus together into a tube like shape
- Place on a baking sheet and brush with some more butter
- Repeat for all other sheets and asparagus spears
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the sheet and then bake for 10 more minutes or until crisp and nicely browned to your taste
- You will be tempted to lift them off the baking sheet while hot. Do that at your own risk. Or you can wait a few minutes and then enjoy them warm!