Greens, Rice and Yogurt - Haakh, bata, zamutdodh – Speak the words thus and see the joy in a Kashmiri’s eyes. Its comfort food; it speaks of home and of long winter nights of comforting talks with family. Now we all know that Kashmiri cuisine uses a lot of spice and heat. So, for the days when we don’t eat the simple Haakh and are relishing the roganjosh and Dum Olu, we have a refreshing side of daikon radish with yougurt. ‘It balances out the heat and spice of the rest of the food and aids digestion’, my Grandma would say. As for me I love this dish – Balancing properties or not! Here’s to all Radish lovers !!
- 1 medium daikon radish (about 200gms)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 C Greek yogurt, whisked
- 1 thai chilli, chopped fine
- A pinch of red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Grate the daikon radish and set aside for a few minutes
- Squeeze out the juice from the radish and put the squeezed radish in a bowl.
- Add the cumin, yogurt,thai chilli & salt. Mix it well .
- Sprinkle the chilli powder on top as a garnish.
- This is best served chilled
Note: This goes well with spicy and hot dishes, but you can serve it like any other raita or eat it as a salad. And If you make it with a bunch of red radishes, this dish looks beautiful!